Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children | Human trafficking is a huge, international crisis. The topic of commercial sexual exploitation of children and other human trafficking crimes doesn’t seem to get the same attention as other human rights issues, but it is a major problem nonetheless. To highlight the serious nature of this issue, let’s look at five stunning facts.
5 Human Trafficking Facts
- Between 20 million and 40 million people are estimated to currently be in modern slavery
- Human trafficking produces around $150 billion in profits, much of which comes from the commercial sexual exploitation of children
- Roughly 71% of those enslaved are women and girls
- Many victims of commercial sexual exploitation of children were in the foster care system at one point
- Social media is used to both recruit and advertise for human trafficking pursuits
Providing Safe Homes
It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the scope of the human trafficking problem, but the solution is to work toward a better future one day at a time. One step in the right direction is to provide as many safe, loving homes as possible for at-risk youth. Children who have supportive and caring homes are less likely to be victimized in this way, so it’s vital that quality resource parents welcome children into their homes. Having a place to call home doesn’t guarantee that a child won’t fall into a human trafficking situation, but it is a great start.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a foster parent, contact Children First Foster Family Agency or apply to become a resource parent.
Children First FFA is a private, non-profit organization in Northern California that is dedicated to helping change lives by providing a safe place for children to heal in a culture of love, acceptance, and consistency.
Author: Children First FFA